top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between ABA, Speech, and OT?

  • ABA – Applied Behavior Analysis works with a broad range of clients to change socially significant behaviors. ABA can work to teach clients new skills that can be used to accomplish important, everyday tasks. These skills can include washing hands, getting dressed, social skills, play skills, and even increase the use of language and appropriate communication. We also work to reduce behaviors that can be seen as problematic such as tantrums, aggression, running away, and more.

  • SLP – Speech-Language Pathologists assess, diagnose, treat, and help to prevent communication and swallowing disorders in children and adults (, 2019). ABA therapists will typically refer children to SLPs when ABA treatment is not producing speech or speech sounds that the child is truly struggling to produce. SLPs are experts in speech and swallowing disorders.

  • OT – Occupational therapists work with people who have injuries, illnesses, or disabilities through the therapeutic use of everyday activities (, 2019). These activities can include cooking, job-related activities, and daily living tasks such as buttoning clothing. Children will typically see an OT for motor/muscular issues that may prevent them from completing basic movement-related skills. OTs can also use special equipment to help their clients better navigate and manipulate their environment.


Overall: ABA is the only practice that specializes in behavior; we are the behavior experts! We are governed by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board and must meet strict credentialing criteria in order to practice ABA.


Does my child need to be diagnosed with ASD to receive ABA services?

  • Your child does not need to have an ASD diagnosis to receive ABA services and see improvement. However, most insurance companies will not cover ABA services unless there is a formal ASD diagnosis.

When should my child receive ABA services?

  • If ABA services are needed, it is best for your child to start ABA as early as possible.


When do children typically start developing symptoms of ASD?

  • Parents typically begin to notice symptoms of ASD in their child by 12 to 18 months of age; though some studies indicated an earlier onset (, 2017). At this time, these behaviors typically become more visible the older the child gets.


My child has never received ABA services and has been in school for several years, is it too late to receive ABA services?

  • It is never too late for ABA to benefit someone. At Creative Behavior Solutions, we provide services to children ranging in age from as young as 2 years old up to 18 years old.

Will you teach me how to use ABA techniques with my child?

  • Yes! Once your child is comfortable and has demonstrated some improvements in behavior, we conduct parent training sessions to help you successfully continue their success outside the clinic. Our doors are always open!

Do you provide ABA services outside the clinic setting?

  • In addition to providing ABA services at our clinic, we can work with your child at home, in school, and in the community when appropriate.

My child does not have autism or social skills deficits but is extremely picky with eating. So much so that we are worried that he/she isn’t getting adequate nutrition. Can ABA help with this?

  • We are qualified to provide feeding therapy. Feeding therapy uses ABA techniques to help with the behavioral and psychological barriers that inhibit healthy eating habits. As long as your child has been medically evaluated and it has been determined that feeding therapy can help, we can help your child.

Is ABA right for me?

  • ABA is helpful for people of all ages. We can work with children with autism, developmental disability, severe problem behaviors without a diagnosis, and more. We will help your child reach their full potential, even if others have given up on them. If your child needs extra help with their problem behavior or needs extra help learning to be social or learn new skills, ABA is right for you.

Who works with my child?

  • Every child is assigned Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), who has received a Masters degree, completed years of fieldwork, and passed a national board exam to gain that title.  We carefully select which BCBA will be a good fit to work with your child, based on their expertise and your child's needs.  Your child may also have a Board Certified assistance Behavior Analyst (BCaBA), which requires a Bachelors degree, a year of targeted fieldwork, and passing a national board. Our Behavior Technicians (RBT) are required to go through a 40-hour Registered Behavior Technician training course, demonstrate competency of the skills taught in that training course, and pass the national Registered Behavior Technician exam. All employees need to pass a background check before they are allowed to work with your child.  Your child's BCBA will choose a team that will work with your child. The BCBA will train each team member on how to best work with your child. The BCBA also regularly conducts follow-up observations and supervisions with the RBT's to be sure your child is getting the best possible treatment.

My child has tantrums, can you help?

  • Tantrums are a very common behavior that ABA works with. Tantrums can include anything from screaming, hitting, biting, kicking, scratching, breaking objects, self-injury, and more. Tantrums can last minutes or hours. This behavior can be very significant for children as well as their families. Targeting tantrums in therapy sessions often lends (leads?) to academic and social growth.  ABA is excellent for decreasing tantrums and other inappropriate behaviors and increasing more socially acceptable behaviors.


bottom of page